Student with Special Needs

P.S. 255 Remains an Inclusive Place for All Students

Health Services or Accommodations in School

Your child may be able to receive health services or accommodations in school under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. These services allow students with special needs to fully participate in school. For example, with a complete 504 form, students with a medical condition may be given medicine in school or students who have difficulty in seeing or hearing may receive preferential seating. 

For more information on services and accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, please email

To find out if your child qualifies for services or accommodations, you can contact the Assistant Principal of Special Education (  or Neil Somerfeld at (Be sure to include your child's name, school and class in your email.) 

After you apply, the school will review your request for services. The school's 504 Team will invite you to a meeting to discuss your child's needs. At this meeting, the team will decide if your child will receive any services or accommodations. You will be informed of the decision within 30 days of the school receiving your documentation. 

For Additional Information on 504 Accommodations

Click on the link below each item to access the following links:

504 Accommodations: Student & Family Guide



Request for Section 504 Accommodations 2020-2021



The New York City Department of Education 504 Accommodations Website

NYCDOE 504 Accommodations


Rights for Parents of Children with Disabilities, Ages 3-21

As a parent, you are a vital member of the Committee on Special Education (CSE) or Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) in New York State. The CSE/CPSE is responsible for developing recommendations for special education programs and services for your child. You must be given opportunities to participate in the CSE/CPSE discussion and decision-making process about your child’s needs for special education. The following information concerns procedural safeguards that are your legal rights under federal and State laws to be informed about and involved in the special education process and to make sure that your child receives a free appropriate public education (FAPE).

A copy of this procedural safeguards notice must be provided to you one time a year and:

  • upon initial referral or your request for an evaluation of your child.

  • whenever you request a copy.

  • upon receipt of the first due process complaint in a school year requesting mediation

    or an impartial hearing.

  • the first time in a school year when the school district receives a copy of a State

    complaint that you submitted to the New York State Education Department (NYSED).

  • when a decision is made to suspend or remove your child for discipline reasons that

    would result in a disciplinary change in placement.

    The Procedural Safeguards Notice has been adapted from the model form developed by the United States Department of Education (USDOE). Information was added regarding New York State’s requirements.


 Click here for a copy of the NYSED Procedural Safeguards 


Our schools can receive additional funding for some of the services that are provided to students, like your child, who have individualized education plans (IEPs). In order for our schools to receive this funding, you previously signed a consent to (1) access and provide to the state and federal Medicaid programs personally identifiable information from your child’s special education records about the special education evaluations, programs and services that are provided to your child and (2) access your child’s Medicaid benefits to pay for these services. This letter of annual notification is to remind you that by previously signing this consent, you understood and agreed that the New York City Department of Education may access your child’s public benefits or insurance to pay for special education services provided to or on behalf of your child. Thank you for your assistance in ensuring that our schools receive as much funding as possible for the critical supports that are provided to our students. 

What information about my child will be provided to state and federal Medicaid programs? The New York City Department of Education (NYC DOE) will provide information about the special education evaluations and services provided to your child. This information may include the IEP, progress notes, attendance records, evaluations and other records and information about evaluations and services provided to your child. Is there any cost to me or to my family? There is no cost to you or your family. You will not be required to incur any expenses, premiums, costs or copayments for the provision of these services. The services that are provided to your child in and outside of school will not be affected in any way. If your family receives Medicaid benefits, your coverage will not be canceled, the lifetime coverage in place will not decrease and services that your family receives will not be affected in any way by the accessing of Medicaid benefits. You will not be required to sign up for or enroll in Medicaid for your child to receive the services on his/her IEP. You will not risk the loss of eligibility for home and community based waivers, if any, that are based on your total health-related expenditures. Can I change my mind about allowing the NYC DOE to access my child’s information and submit claims to the Medicaid program and revoke my consent? Yes - you may change your mind about this consent at any time. To change your decision, contact your child’s school and request to complete a new Medicaid consent form. The NYC DOE must still provide special education and services to your child at no cost to you even if you withdraw your consent at a later date.