Information for Immigrant Families
The Department of Education (DOE) and the Mayor’s Office are committed to protecting the right of every student to attend public school, regardless of immigration status, national origin, or religion. The United States Supreme Court has also recognized the importance of public education for all students, including undocumented students.
We want you to know that the DOE:
- Does not permit federal agents, including Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), to enter schools, except when absolutely required by law;
- Does not track immigration status of students or family members, and will not release student information unless absolutely required to by law; and
- Will continue to ensure that all students get a quality education.
- Public schools are at the center of our democracy, and New York City schools remain safe places for all students, families, and educators.
"Public Charge" Information for Families
Accessing school-based services—including educational services and supports, free breakfast or lunch, or school-based health clinics—does not put those seeking a green card/permanent legal resident card or a visa at risk of being considered a public charge.
Click here for more information and for translations in other languages.
As we work through these challenging times together, NY State of Health is committed to ensuring access to affordable, quality health insurance for all New Yorkers so they can get the care they need during this state of emergency. Please see the attached letter and link:
Help Now NYC
The City has created HELP NOW NYC an online resource center that has information on helping New Yorkers affected by CoVID-19. HELP NOW NYC provides both resources for individuals and organizations on a wide range of services including:
- Employment Resources
- Health and Medical Assistance
- Food Assistance
- Financial Assistance
- Rent Arrears and Public Assistance
HELP NOW NYC also has information for those interested in helping front-line employees. It offers ways to volunteer with the Volunteer Coordination Task Force and assist in the Co-VID 19 Relief Efforts.